It's Goal and it's on radio...


The World Cup Football finally started yesterday.

Let me tell this to you straight of that I am not a football freak. In fact I am no sports freak at all...
But then World Cup is something different. I fell in love with the game and the tournament when I watched it with my Granny's brother way back in 1994. It was stupendous, the energy that is on display. And I was all the more influenced when I saw the old man reacting with such vigour at each missed oppurtunity. He favoured Brazil and I did the same with no idea what the team was all about. It was just that he favoured and he seemed know everything.

I favour Brazil till this date! Although there are other great countries. And then Argentina is always next to Brazil. Pele never reached in my mind, the position Maradona had acquired. Leave alone Ronaldo, Ronaldhino or Beckham!

And ever since 1994, I have followed World Cup football as I do cricket, or may be with more enthusiasm. Couldn't have given up this habit this year. So what if i stay in a pg which does not have a TV set and I do not have the money to rent a set for one whole month (which i plan to do for the finals, if i cant get hold of a friend who would invite me to watch in his/her place!)

So? Well I do have a radio which provides me with my daily dose of music. And best part, 101.1 FM was telecasting the opening match Germany Vs Costa Rica. Boy, I could atleast hear if cant see the match! And I did. With the commentators (this being a BBC show)doing a great job the match was just as interesting. And specially whenever a player would approach the goal post the excitment in their voices actually gave me,if not all the listeners, a high!

And what would I do to pacify myself? The mobile phone! The free messages offered Hutch...
I would message my freinds everytime a goal was scored and share the joy. The joy was however at the peak when the first goal was scored by Germany. "The Goal the goal" is the message that went out to all the freinds and they reciprocated... "Yeah"

Germany won the match 4-2. And I slept a content soul, being able to witness the Goals at the same time as others did.

Wow! Three cheers to live coverages....three cheers to Radio... My radio set!!

Comments

  1. Interesting...could relate to a few of the experiences..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRAZIL!
    TAN NAN NAN!
    BRAZIL!
    TAN NAN NAN!
    hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is'nt radio the best? So much more fulfilling than any other medium.I liked your post.
    Jyoti

    ReplyDelete
  4. go brazil go go go.......... :D

    nice post noyon ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts