Of New Year Eve Celebrations


As he intently read the menu Shakti's phone buzzed. The screen flashed Noyon. Shakti looked at me intrigued as I signaled him to take the call. 

Shakti took the call. The voice at the end other was not quite clear but he could hear it without the phone anyway. Shakti looked at me as I signaled him to put the act to play.

This was formula 46. Or whatever you may like to call it. 

"Wait I can't hear you well. Too much of noise here. Let me walk out this place. Hold the phone," Shakti spoke into the phone. He had understood the plan. Speaking loudly into the phone he walked out the posh restaurant we had stepped in for our dinner. Shangri La, a Chinese restaurant, was decked up. It was the new year's eve and the place was packed with people.





The entire Brigade Road where Shangri La was located was beautifully done up to welcome the new year; choko-block with people in their festive best. We were just two young boys out to celebrate on borrowed money - my sister had graciously given us Rs 1000 to blow up. But spending randomly was just nit our thing. Especially not on food that could come for lesser. We had come to Shangri La only after estimating what we would spend. I had after all been to the place earlier too with my sister.

Shakti was gone for five minutes. He should have put the next step into action by now. As I wondered what may have taken him so long the waiter came by for the second time to ask for our order. Presume he was getting impatient too with so many people queuing up... "My friend has just gone out on a call. He should be back any moment. Will order right away then. Thank you," I told him.

As the waiter smiled my Nokia 3310 beeped. Not quite the phone that I was proud to show off but on this day it was important. I had to take this call. "Oh! I need to take this call," I told the waiter signalling him to hold the table as I walked towards the door get away from the noise. "Hey, could you hold. You are not quite audible I spoke into the phone," I said as I walked past the doorman. 

I rushed down the stairs into the open street. Shakti was waiting there. His job was done. He looked at me and we knew we had to laugh. The people around were amused too... to see two idiots celebrating New Year half and hour too early. Celebrations were in order for sure!

"Hell! that was expensive! The last time I came here it was much cheaper!" I blurted out as Shakti got ready to abuse me for taking him to such an expensive restaurant. "Chal I think I know a reasonable place. Siddharth had told me about a plastic near La Velle Road signal. Lets find it!" He replied. 

We did find that awesome place. Some good and inexpensive fried rice and Hunan chicken later, we even managed to have two cups of cold coffee at CCD. 

I moved out of Bangalore soon after and have not been to Shangri La ever since. Maybe some new years eve I land up there... This time have the heart to pay for an omelette - one which cost Rs 80 then. That was December 31, 2005.

Comments

Popular Posts