Why I enjoyed 2 States, the film…

I like this attitude. The ‘I don’t care where the world’s headed. I do what I like’ attitude! The world may be in the ages of savvy gadgets. I will still type only on my type-writer. Yes! That’s the only way I could ever write a book.

Well actually how else does one I convey to people, without speaking a word, that I want to be a writer. Or for that matter I am in the mood to write. See, it’s screenplay! I just need to touch the typewriter and look at it with absolute emotions and people understand. This is development from the days when a kurta and a jhola would be the way to show that a person was a writer. Screenplay! 


Yes, I loved 2 States. Arjun Kapoor’s Krish is an IIT Delhi, IIM Ahmedabad alumni who wants to be a writer. He wants to write his book where the story is the hero. His story about normal people. People like him and not heroes. Different matter altogether that he takes to singing and dancing at his own discretion. Can’t help really; He is a character of a Hindi film. Despite not being a ‘hero’ he needs to break into a song and dance. Unapologetic. And no offence taken.

One more important thing about 2 States. It moves at its own pace. The ‘I
don’t care how fast people get bored. I have my own pace and would not outdo it’ attitude on full displace. See, I have this tendency. I like people who care a damn. So I like 2 States.

I have not read Chetan Bhagat’s film. I must apologise, my observation of the film hence might not quite be up to the mark. But I do believe the characters, lovely and ugly, are a part of the book entirely and not much of an innovation of the filmmaker.

Which is why the screenplay is so important. And which is why I have so far only mentioned screenplay. Of course dialogues are an important and original part of the film. And I would not lie, I was pretty impressed. No sarcasm here, in case you are still looking.

What stands out are the performances. Arjun Kapoor and Alia Bhatt play out their characters will élan. Alia is in fact turning into a darling, while Arjun matures. But among all, it is Amrita Singh who brings in the smiles with her lines and energy. Good to have her back. Ronit Roy evokes emotions as his portrays his.


It is personal opinion, this. I would not ask you to watch 2 States. Not with a ticket worth Rs 200 of your hard earned money! But if you too enjoy the ‘I give a damn’ attitude that I mentioned earlier… this movie might just be for you. It does evoke emotions in plenty. It makes you smile. And then, if you are relate enough to the characters it might make you cry to. So, do you care a damn?

Comments

Popular Posts