World Cup live… a dream!


The other day I read in the newspaper that some kids have been selected to be flag bearers (or something like that) at the World Cup. A promotion contest and a dozen children get to go to Germany. They are going to be present in the stadium watching a match LIVE! Well I know some people who would do anything to be given a chance to see a match alive.

Well, I am not a sports freak. But I did use to follow sports as a teenager. And the game I followed keenly is cricket, a game that is nothing less than a religion, by far outweighing the national hockey.

This incident reminded me of something that had happened with me – this might be a tragedy or a comedy, depending on your state of mind.

This was many years back just before the cricket World Cup tournament. The cola drink company had announced a contest. There were letters written on the cap of the bottle (of course on the inner side) and the ones who would get the whole word ‘WORLD’ (or was it ‘PEPSI’?) would get to go watch a match live.

Pepsi being my favourite soft drink I anyway used to drink it everyday. And here was the opportunity for me to get a ticket to the world cup. I had already got four of the five letters needed. But then the TIME was fleeting and I soon found myself out of time.

The last day of the contest arrived and I was still stranded with four letters. That day I decided to give my best shot. Gulped down bottle after bottle but luck eluded. I had to give up.

So much of time and money…

The next day was another day. I had classes to attend and hence the previously day’s tragedy was lost in memory. (I have a good memory. Helps me forget all the bad things)
While returning home that day, I decided to get hold of a Pepsi to beat the heat. (Hello I wish I would have been a more health conscious guy… so much of junk EVERYDAY!)

Bottle opened, about to throw the cap but decide to check the cap just for the sake of. And BINGO there was the fifth letter. I had completed the word after all.

That night was a terrible night. I could not help cursing my luck. “Had I got that a day earlier…” But I realized there was no point think about it. A MISS IS A MISS…by a meter or by a mile.

Thoughts didn’t last to long and fell asleep a happy soul.

Comments

Popular Posts